Re: gEDA-user: New-install ? dbus-launch

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 19:18 +0300, eas lab wrote:
> I'm having considerable problems running
> geda, gschem, or pcb.  [Altho' I first wanted to just 'see'
> spice, which I found isn't even in the massive package].

"spice" doesn't as such exist. The closest open source is "ngspice",
which is its own project - although does come under the gEDA umbrella.

You might want to try "gnucap" http://www.gnucap.org/

What OS are you using?

Is there any particular reason you're using the gEDA binary suite,
rather than fetching gEDA from your distro's package system?

Alternatively to the binary suite, building the gEDA tools from source
is often a good option if you want to get up to date code. IIRC, the
Binary suite isn't based on the latest released version.

Best wishes,

> A further complication is that, because the package is so big,
> I've installed it at /mnt/mul/geda-0.0.2  -- it's own partition.

The binary suite is big because it bundles _all_ dependencies, like
commercial tools running on Linux would do. This may mean it doesn't
integrate nicely with the rest of your system.

I'm not sure what problems the gEDA suite's programs are having running
as root, but they may be avoiding it for security reasons.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,