Re: gEDA-user: gEDA on windows

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 23:45 +0530, Ravi chandra wrote:
>> hi all,
>>            please do accept my new year wishes. Based on my gEDA seul
>>    webiste..what i can understand is that..there is no gEDA for
>>    windows-xp. its only for linux or unix not windows. can somebody
>>    correct whether i am right or wrong..
>>    if there is any gEDA software for windows ..please do point it to the
>>    site
>
> There is no offical windows version, and gEDA isn't particularly tested
> under Windows.
>
> PCB and gerbv are available as Windows downloads from their respective
> sourceforge pages:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcb
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gerbv
>

> gEDA _can_ be built for Windows (if you're familiar with mingw and/or
> cross compiling), but hasn't received any extensive testing.
>
> Currently, to use gEDA on Windows the best approach might be to build
> the suite from source-code under Cygwin.
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/

Another method without having to go back to source code:

What I did was install VirtualBox, then Ubuntu into that as one of the
selectable operating systems, then gEDA. Took a while to make the guest
extensions work (in order to cut&paste or jump between Windows and Linux
and so on) but now it runs nicely. The only reason why I decided not to
use gschem is the sub-optimal handling of power pins in multi-package
parts and I am using tons of those.

Virtual engines such as VirtualBox have an added benefit. If you ever
come across a program that will refuse to run under anything else than,
say, Windows 3.1 (I had that happen!) you can try to install that old
operating system as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/