Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009 20:50:49 Joerg wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but it says "useless with gschem", whatever that means. In the
>> telephone.sch file I could only see a mike and a speaker with coil, but
>> no power pins.
>>
>> In the end it's important that a decent power pin handling is inside the
>> program itself, not something that must be handled by letting a command
>> line routine run over some files.
>
> You still haven't provided a definition of "decent".
>
> Maybe if you describe what you consider to be a better approach, we can
> discuss its technical merits and consider whether it is desirable and/or
> feasible to implement.

Ok, just done that in my answer to John. Basically "decent" means the
way OrCad and Eagle do that. Power pins only on first instantation (and
only if invoked). The invocation part that Eagle offers can be skipped
if users generate two devices, one with inherent and invisible power
pins for your typical TTL designs and another for where power should be
visible (but only on first instantation).

Kicad offers an almost ideal method in the library editor: After drawing
the power pins you can select "don't show these on any instantion",
"show them only on the first instantation" and also "show them
everywhere". This is quite nicely implemented.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/