Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 6/6] Generation of log files

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 21:37 -0700, John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Steve Meier wrote:
>
> > To me the idea of a app.log associated with a project is that if some
> > step in the project goes "GAK" I would like to know why.
> >

> The basic problem is that the software's point of view is not the
> user's. Software is even better than priests at "straining out gnats
> and swallowing camels". syslog() is designed to archive messages for
> a reasonable time, so the user can find the rare useful message if
> necessary.

However, syslog() is usually defined as a user interface to the system
logger, which a mere user may or may not be able to configure or view
the contents of the log directory of.  So while I agree the concept of a
central logging facility used by gEDA apps could make sense, it's not
clear to me that syslog() is naturally that facility.

Frankly, I'm more than happy to remove local log files in the clean
targets of my per-project makefiles.  I assume those with gui fixations
could have cleanup behaviors coded in xgsch2pcb or whatever.  [shrug]

Bdale