Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 2/6] Plugin system

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 10:18 -0600, Mark Rages wrote:

> Can someone define "plug-in" for me?
>
> What is the advantage, given that the whole project is open-source?

It means we can push the policy further out of the core, whilst still
providing options for all those crazy 99% use-case work-flows certain
people seem so adamant we shouldn't make easier in case it were to hurt
our great flexibility in the number of ways we can make common
operations difficult.

Open source doesn't mean we have to hard-code every behaviour anyone
might want in the core. I could quote some good examples, such as
Firefox / Compiz / XMMS (and its children) / VLC.. which use plugins.

</rant over>

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,