Re: gEDA-user: GTK RANT

> I never experienced multi letter menus with any other app. This is
> very much non standard.

The ideal would be to support the standard accelerators (like Ctrl-C
for Copy, etc) as well as two-key ones (like E E) for actions that
don't map easily to gtk standard actions.  Non-modified keys are
normally not used as accelerators in applications, because most
applications include heavy use of text entry (word processor,
spreadsheet).  gschem doesn't, so it can use unmodified keys for
gschem-specific purposes.

> As such, it steepens the learning curve for the newbie.

Adding standard accelerators would help.  Removing two-key
accelerators would not - the learning curve depends on good menu
layout and adherence to standards, *not* from avoiding extra features.

With modifier-based accelerators, you're limited to 26 standard ones
(Ctrl-<key>) or a myriad of ctrl-alt-left-meta-bucky-<key>
combinations which are themselved hard to remember - like pcb's setup
;-)

(although pcb also uses unmodified keys as accelerators)