Re: gEDA-user: Open GL survey (for PCB)

On Jan 28, 2009, at 11:24 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> and C++?
>>
>>    NOOOOOO!  We have enough portability problems as it is.
>
> At this point, I don't think C++ would reduce portability.  Actually,
> since C++ is a more standard-requiring language, it might even help.

   Theoretically speaking, I agree, but I (like you, I suspect)
compile software all the time...and if something is written in C++,
that tends to about triple the chances of my having to spend all damn
afternoon getting it built.

   And actually, though, the portability problems that are giving me
heartburn lately are with gEDA, not PCB proper.  GTK (and its thirty
or so dependencies) is a big pain in the ass for anyone who is not
running the absolute latest release of Linux on a PC.  I am STILL
fighting with it, and I've made some progress, though I've given up
for now.  I managed to get everything built, but now anything GTK-
related (including gtk-demo) drops core with something related to
threading.  That stuff has serious problems.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL