Re: gEDA-user: gEDA "portability problems"

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 19:51:48 Dave McGuire wrote:

>    And actually, though, the portability problems that are giving me
> heartburn lately are with gEDA, not PCB proper.  GTK (and its thirty
> or so dependencies) is a big pain in the ass for anyone who is not
> running the absolute latest release of Linux on a PC.  I am STILL
> fighting with it, and I've made some progress, though I've given up
> for now.  I managed to get everything built, but now anything GTK-
> related (including gtk-demo) drops core with something related to
> threading.  That stuff has serious problems.

gEDA 1.4.x requires GTK+ 2.4 or later. GTK+ 2.4.0 was released on 16 Mar 2004.
Claiming (by implication) that gEDA requires "the absolute latest release of
Linux on a PC" is silly. We work *very* hard to fix any portability problems
that crop up, and versions of GLib/GTK+ since 2.4 are available for the vast
majority of consumer operating systems and CPU architectures.  AFAIK, it works
on *at least* Solaris, Windows, Linux and BSD, on x86, x86-64, PPC and ARM.

The next release of gEDA will require GTK+ 2.8.0, which is much more modern:
it was released on 13th Aug 2005. Completely bleeding-edge, I'm sure you'll
agree!

Rather than just vaguely claiming that gEDA has "portability problems",
perhaps you could give us some specific details of the platform that you're
trying to run it on and the problems that you're having.

                                Peter

          (Who's going to compile gEDA for Maemo any day now, honest)!

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer
Integral Informatics Ltd