Re: gEDA-user: gEDA "portability problems"

On Jan 28, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>    And actually, though, the portability problems that are giving me
>> heartburn lately are with gEDA, not PCB proper.  GTK (and its thirty
>> or so dependencies) is a big pain in the ass for anyone who is not
>> running the absolute latest release of Linux on a PC.  I am STILL
>> fighting with it, and I've made some progress, though I've given up
>> for now.  I managed to get everything built, but now anything GTK-
>> related (including gtk-demo) drops core with something related to
>> threading.  That stuff has serious problems.
>
> gEDA 1.4.x requires GTK+ 2.4 or later. GTK+ 2.4.0 was released on
> 16 Mar 2004.
> Claiming (by implication) that gEDA requires "the absolute latest
> release of
> Linux on a PC" is silly.

   Well.  Admittedly, that was typed out of frustration.  And, also
admittedly, I'm talking about the git head, not 1.4.x.

> We work *very* hard to fix any portability problems
> that crop up,

   Absolutely, and I've been consistently impressed.  I certainly
wasn't bashing gEDA; I talk it up to anyone who will listen...and
even a few people who won't. ;)

> and versions of GLib/GTK+ since 2.4 are available for the vast
> majority of consumer operating systems and CPU architectures.
> AFAIK, it works
> on *at least* Solaris, Windows, Linux and BSD, on x86, x86-64, PPC
> and ARM.

   Not Solaris, at least not right now.

> The next release of gEDA will require GTK+ 2.8.0, which is much
> more modern:
> it was released on 13th Aug 2005. Completely bleeding-edge, I'm
> sure you'll
> agree!
>
> Rather than just vaguely claiming that gEDA has "portability
> problems",
> perhaps you could give us some specific details of the platform
> that you're
> trying to run it on and the problems that you're having.

   Remember the big saga of me trying to get the latest git code
running under Solaris?  As I mentioned earlier, I've given up for the
time being because I had some other stuff I had to deal with, but I'm
going to start working on it again shortly.

>           (Who's going to compile gEDA for Maemo any day now, honest)!

   Now THAT would be fun!  I keep an old N700 on my night stand that
I use for early morning email reading.  It'd be neat to edit
schematics on that. ;)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire