Re: gEDA-user: Metric units

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, DJ Delorie wrote:
> But given that some parts (like SOJ or DIP) are specified in terms of
> inch units, I think the whole concept of a "metric only library" is
> rather pointless.  I think what the OP really wants is not what the OP
> asked for.

I wonder if PCB's internal representation using Imperial units has been a
problem. I thought it might present issues with some newer SMD parts, like
the 0.4mm pitch LQFP that I'm using in a project, but in reality, the
layout looked fine and I didn't run into any problems with things not
aligning correctly. (The real ballache is that my project has a mix of
metric and imperial measured parts, like the imperial spaced SOIC and SOJ
but with metric LQFP and TQFP too, so I had to use a very fine grid to get
stuff to line up neatly for both metric and imperial parts).

So basically, I've not had a problem myself and being able to make
footprints in metric seems good enough so far.