Re: gEDA-user: Any discussion about combining schematics and symbols into one file?

On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:24 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Yamazaki R2 wrote:
>>    I think i might have brought this up before but I wanted to
>> bring this
>>    up again. I know this would be kind of a big change to the way
>> gEDA
>>    works, but it would be nice to combine component's schematic,
>> symbol,
>>    and maybe pcb view into one file. Or at least the option to do so.
>
> On Mac OS X, there is the concept of a "bundle". They are actually
> implemented as directories w/ a suffix. The bundle is treated as a
> unit. The application (Xcode, for example) is given the path to
> the bundle, and it finds therein all the files it needs. Normal
> file browsing tools can be used to browse into the bundle, if
> desired.
>
> Seems to me it would be pretty simple to define a "bundle" format
> for schematics as well.

In my flows, the "bundle" is a CVS module. CVS keeps track of
sources, and ignores the fungus that grows around them (netlists,
backup files, logs, etc.). The key thing is to keep every symbol
except completely generic ones (like gnd-1.sym) in some directory in
the module. Use relative pathnames in makefiles and gafrc files to
establish relationships (sometimes I also use soft links). So,
typically, a project "silistat" will have directories:

silistat/schematic
silistat/symbols
silistat/doc

etc. Lots of ways to do the details.

The klunky thing right now is importing symbols. Lots of:

locate thingie-1.sym
cp wherever/thingie-1.sym ../symbols/mythingie.sym

Then remember to rescan directories in the symbol browser (@#$%),
choose and place the symbol, Hs, customize as needed, fs, Hu, ep. Or,
if you imported a schematic and got the dreaded red triangle, import
the missing symbol as above, rescan (this wasn't necessary in older
versions), pr, yes I really want to, and then you're probably OK.

Yes, it's klunky, but in a big project it saves a lot of time down
the road.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx