Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Capture to dxf File - using gEDA, Inkscape, and pstoedit

On Jan 24, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Dave N6NZ wrote:

On Jan 24, 2010, at 4:43 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:

CO2 laser is the wrong wavelength to cut metal. Only a couple percent of the radiation is absorbed. Great for plastics, though, and many other materials. With respect to >PCB etching, one thing I've thought about but haven't yet tried is simply using paint. Apply a thin code of flat black paint as a resist (I'm guessing enamel would work best) >and let the laser ablate the paint where you want to etch.

We already use commercial grade pre-photosensitized FR4 laminate, so
doing painting and such is not needed. My only concern was that there might be issues of the wave-lengths between the LASER and the laminate
being miss-matched, but if the process is actually based on heat then
it is a non-issue.

Now that will depend on your photochemistry. CO2 laser is not in the visible spectrum. You'd have to check the sensitivity of the photo emulsion w.r.t. wavelength. Most litho films are not sensitive even to red, but do go up into ultra-violet. I can't remember if CO2 is longer or shorter than visible light. In any case, you'd get by with very low power.

CO2 is way out in the IR. I guess the way to use it is to vaporize the resist. Note that black in the visible may not be black at the IR wavelength in question, and vice-versa.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx