Re: gEDA-user: gschem font scaling

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 15:48 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In geda 1.6.0 the font scaling has changed - is there a way to set the
> font scaling differently? Maybe in a gschemrc file, or does it require
> a recompile?

Recompile, sorry. See libgeda/src/o_text_basic.c

Search:

#define GEDA_FONT_FACTOR 1.3

You probably want it "1.0"

> A brief background to the question:
>
> Yes, obviously the on screen font has changed significantly due to the
> new font rendering, which is great, but what has also happened is that
> the scaling in the font of a .ps file has also changed.

The on-screen scaling ought not to have changed (much), as the scaling
factor above was designed to match (as closely as possible), the height
of the old gEDA font.

It does mean that postscript output has seen its font size increase (by
a factor of x1.3). Sometimes I still think I made the wrong decision in
doing it that way.

The choice was either smaller on-screen fonts compared to pre gEDA
1.6.0, or try to match on-screen - and increase the postscript output
size.

I really wish I'd fixed 1-1, and just shrunk the on-screen rendering
now. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can easily change back - as
consistency is good.

Technically, it "could" go in a 1.6.1 update - but I suspect there would
be a lot of (valid) opposition to that, since it isn't really a "bug
fix" per-se.

> Pre-cairo/pango the .ps font was significantly smaller than the
> on-screen font, and (IMO) scaled as I would expect it to be. In the
> dev versions 1.5.4 the on screen font matched the old .ps font scaling
> (and .ps font scaling remained consistent). In 1.6.0 it seems the
> decision was to try to approximate the old on screen font size (I can
> imagine some reasons for this - namely symbol library consistency),

                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Got it in one there.

> but this has changed the output font size. The change has "broken" of
> my schematics and symbols (my issue, not gEDA's - that's what happens
> when you work with a dev version). I prefer the old scaling, and would
> like to know what I need to change to build it as I would like. It
> would obviously be very nice if this was just a gschemrc setting...

I avoided making if configurable deliberately - since it adds yet
another variable in the already confusing array of settings.

One thing I'm absolutely against is introducing separate on-screen, and
output scalings. gschem is WYSIWYG, and something I think we want to
keep.

I'm not violently opposed to adding a setting for the scaling factor -
but I'd really prefer it wasn't necessary.

> FYI I am working with the win32 builds.

Ok, cool - glad to hear they are working for you.

Best wishes,

Peter C.