Re: gEDA-user: European symbols?

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> I didn't add or modify any invisible text except those very
> unnecessary (?) author- and license lines. I guess I should
> remove them entirely.

License lines are a necessity for sharing. Else, you'd have to
put some license information in the environment of the share.

>> * the footprint attribute is invisible
>
> Didn't change that either. Why would you like them visible?

Because the footprint information can be scanned at a glance
in the schematic. The footprint needs attention just like the
value or the refdes. So it is convenient to have it visible
by default. If I don't want to see the footprint attributes in
finished design I can still hide them with "Hide specific text"
in the attributes menu. In addition, the footprint  provides a
hint what to look for in the layout when I read the schematic.
Else, a SO23 transistor looks the same in the schematic as a
TO247 with cooler.

> 200? Strange. Strange. Looks like 300 to me, except the output pin,
> which indeed is 200. I didn't change that from the original symbol
> either,  though.

"200" was just a typo by me...
Somewhere in the documentation pin length 300 is recommended. However,
nobody could give a reason for this value when I asked on this list.
Since pins cannot be differentiated in print from nets, I decided to
opt for short pins in my symbols. That is, 100 units, or sometimes even
zero.

> If it's not too much work, could you modify the 7400 symbol to your
> likings and then send it back so I can modify the other symbols
> accordingly?

See below.
Except for the license, the symbol would fit into my collection of
symbols in gedasymbols.org. I prefer the GPL as distribution license.
As John Doty already pointed out, there is no hard right or wrong
with many design decisions. I am, of course, biased :-)

/------------------------
v 20100214 2
B 200 200 600 600 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
T 500 500 9 20 1 0 0 4 1
&
T 400 4100 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
device=7400
T 700 0 8 8 0 0 0 0 1
slot=1
T 400 2400 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
numslots=4
T 400 1600 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
slotdef=1:1,2,3
T 400 1800 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
slotdef=2:4,5,6
T 400 2000 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
slotdef=3:9,10,8
T 400 2200 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
slotdef=4:12,13,11
V 850 500 50 6 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
P 900 500 900 500 1 0 1
{
T 850 600 5 8 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=3
T 850 600 5 8 0 1 0 0 1
pinseq=3
T 750 500 9 8 0 1 0 7 1
pinlabel=Y
T 850 450 5 8 0 1 0 2 1
pintype=out
}
P 200 300 100 300 1 0 1
{
T 150 350 5 8 1 1 0 6 1
pinnumber=2
T 150 350 5 8 0 1 0 6 1
pinseq=2
T 250 300 9 8 0 1 0 1 1
pinlabel=B
T 150 250 5 8 0 1 0 8 1
pintype=in
}
P 200 700 100 700 1 0 1
{
T 150 750 5 8 1 1 0 6 1
pinnumber=1
T 150 750 5 8 0 1 0 6 1
pinseq=1
T 250 700 9 8 0 1 0 1 1
pinlabel=A
T 150 650 5 8 0 1 0 8 1
pintype=in
}
T 200 1100 8 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=U?
T 200 0 8 8 1 1 0 0 1
footprint=DIP14
T 400 3900 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
description=4 NAND gates with 2 inputs
T 400 3700 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
documentation=http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/sn74hc00.pdf
T 400 3100 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
author=Johnny Rosenberg â johnny.a.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxx
T 400 2900 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
dist-license=None â do whatever you want, I don't care
T 400 2700 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
use-license=unlimited
T 200 900 8 10 1 1 0 0 1
value=7400
T 400 3500 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
comment=use 74_pwr.sym for supply
T 400 3300 5 8 0 0 0 0 1
comment=this symbol was designed according to IEC-(INSERT SPECIFIC NORM)

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: