Re: gEDA-user: Resistor values?

On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Patrick Bernaud wrote:

> John Doty writes:
>> [...]
>> The work-around for the drc2 incompatibility. Where is it?
>
> You remember that I am not the person proposing the initial patch,
> only one reviewer?

You did more than review: you thoroughly rewrote it in a way that makes it more difficult to read, repair, reuse, and override if needed. You dismissed factoring that helped put the back end writer in control as "crippling the API". It seemed to me you wanted ownership of that code. You can have it if you want it. If not, I'll try to find time to finish it.

The political difficulty of improving the factoring in this small area has me discouraged about any serious improvement in the flexibility of gnetlist. The existing back ends will constrain it to remain an unusually powerful and flexible tool within its box, but the box will never expand very much.

In the meantime, at Noqsi Aerospace, we've been developing "lambda-geda" which is potentially a much more flexible schematic processor. Right now we use it for schematic to schematic transformations, but netlisting is certainly a potential application area.  So that's where my focus will inevitably move in the future.

> Beside with the example I proposed, it is not an "incompatibility",
> but merely a (valid) warning triggered by the new code.
>
> Of course it has to be addressed and that's why I mentionned it as
> part of my review.

We agreed it has to be addressed, yes. But who should address it?

---

This message contains technical discussion involving difficult issues. No personal disrespect or malice is intended. If you perceive such, your perception is simply wrong. I'm a busy person, and in my business "go along to get along" causes mission failures and sometimes kills people, so I tend to be a bit blunt.