Re: gEDA-user: Soft and Hard symbols

Colin D Bennett wrote:

> The orthogonality
> of these three pieces (schematic, footprint mapping, and PCB layout) is
> pleasing to me, but I have to admit that you would rarely find a need
> to create different PCBs from the exact same schematic.

ack. Up to now, I _never_ had this situation in real projects. Some aspect
of the schematic beyond footprints and packages always needs to be changed.
On the other hand: Almost all projects need debugging and/or service. For
this task, footprints printed on the schematic help to locate the part in
the layout.

> Still, by
> separating the footprint mapping entirely from schematic capture, you
> can stay focused on one task at a time.

If this is your preferred way to work, you can already do it, even with
heavy symbols: Just ignore the footprint attribute while placing symbols.
Use gattrib, a text editor or a script to replace dummy values of the
footprints in a separate step.
The mere fact that the footprint information is contained in the schematic
does not imply, you have to set it during schematic capture.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211