Re: gEDA-user: Soft and Hard symbols

On Jan 14, 2011, at 6:32 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 19:41 -0500, al davis wrote:
>>> On Jan 12, 2011, at 11:29 AM, al davis  wrote:
>
>> That's great.  There is a long list of things that need to be
>> done.  Where do you want to start?
>>
>> My preference is to start with netlist translation, using
>> gnucap's translator system that goes both ways.  In this case,
>> that's a "language plugin", reading and writing the gschem
>> format
>
> Ideally (to be forward compatible with format changes), that plugin
> would use libgeda. If someone starts on this, please let us know via the
> lists + bug tracker ( https://launchpad.net/geda/+bugs ) if you find any
> API which is lacking.

The trouble with this reasoning is that the .sch file format is reasonably simple, well documented, expressive, extensible, and stable. The libgeda API is complex, poorly documented, and badly in need of revision. Only a few tools use the libgeda API, but there are many useful scripts out in the gEDA universe that deal with .sch and .sym files directly, so file format changes would be big trouble in any case.

---

This message contains technical discussion involving difficult issues. No personal disrespect or malice is intended. If you perceive such, your perception is simply wrong. I'm a busy person, and in my business "go along to get along" causes mission failures and sometimes kills people, so I tend to be a bit blunt.