Re: gEDA-user: Collaborative Development of Boards

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 08:22:02AM +0100, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> gedau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > If you edit one object, that won't ever move other objects around by
> > side effect. VCS systems I know depend on this feature. I think PCB
> > already provides this feature, keeping order of objects,
>
> Not really. When you edit a line, it somehow gets thrown into an
> entirely different slot in the list.  Like if there is a vector of
> allocated slots, some marked unused, and when something is changed, it
> is thrown into the first unused slot.  Probably some feature of some
> glib(?) container class?  It's not too bad for vcs diffs, but could be a
> little better.  Not worth the trouble to fix this, I guess.

Hmm, maybe I mix it with something then. I recall some efforts, maybe by
Peter to get this fixed in PCB or in gschem. Or else my memory
just fails.

Yes, I agree it is not too bad for the diffs in practice, at least when
I edit a file alone on multiple computers I rarely see actual problems -
except diffs caused by storing the date.