Re: gEDA-user: FYI [Fwd: [Balloon] Balloon 4]

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 11:32 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 06:32 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:
> > git HEAD rendering speed alone
> >>  would make it prohibitive.
>
> I've been able to layout dense boards.  The autorouter for digital wires after
> the main power is laid out doesn't need rendering....

I mentioned the PCB auto-router in my earlier email, but when talking
about rendering speed, I was just talking about how long it takes for
PCB to draw a screen-update whilst manually editing the board.

You and Bob seem to have thought I was concerned about rendering speed
_during_ auto-routing. You still need to look at the auto-router
results, even if you don't care about the intermediate steps ;)

From Bob's comments, it seems that perhaps Altium isn't as polished as
I've imagined it is. There will still be momentum behind it though, due
to:

Tool familiarity amongst the designers
The designers already bought Altium at some point
Existing symbols / schematics which can be reused
Production tested and optimised footprints

> Belief more than logic seems to be what moves people to choose proprietary
> over open tools.

That is probably true.

--
Peter Clifton