Re: gEDA-user: FYI [Fwd: [Balloon] Balloon 4]

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 20:59 -0500, al davis wrote:

> Anyone here who uses LTspice need only to look in the mirror to
> figure that out.  Apparently, there are some features that
> Altium has that they consider to be important.   What are they?

Will get back to you when I know more, but having chatted to these guys
in the past:

a) They have Altium
b) They have bits in Altium already (footprints etc..) -> momentum.
c) They need an auto-router which can handle really complex stuff.
d) Blind / buried vias may be needed.

No-one could in good conscience suggest PCB is going to be able to
compete up with that sort of design. git HEAD rendering speed alone
would make it prohibitive.

> > How would the conversion be performed?
>
> That's obvious.  They are waiting for us to provide a conversion
> utility.

Not necessarily.. but whatever happens, it may well be beneficial to the
community as a whole.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,