Re: gEDA-user: Embedded polygon

On 1/18/2011 2:15 PM, George M. Gallant, Jr. wrote:
On 01/18/2011 01:13 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 11:56 -0500, George M. Gallant, Jr. wrote:

See the attached screenshot.
Mailing list has scrapped the attachment I think.

I don't think there is a better technique for now. Perhaps you could
explain what the polygons are to be used for?

I have an analog front end and I would like to isolate the return paths.
It does need a direct connect to digital ground (min current) so I put a
10mil bridge between the 2. Also put thru holes so I can cut and repair
the bridge as necessary.

BTW, my analog design skills are poor so feel free to comment. The board
needs to be finished this week.

George,

The ground plane isolation works because you are preventing currents from the digital signals from creating voltage in the analog paths. For this to work properly you can't have any digital signals crossing the division between the two planes. That's how the isolated power planes work. Is that what the polygons are doing in this design?

Rick