Re: gEDA-user: Collaborative Development of Boards

Am 18.01.2011 um 01:56 schrieb John Griessen:

I thought about this some more after sleeping last night, and what Markus is probably asking for is a position range sensitive diff or auto- merge.

When people make changes in PCB that can be merged, it means they are
working in different places, zones, quadrants...  IOW if you could
say easily *where* you were working was different and not overlapping
another's work, an auto-merge would work -- if it only over-rode layout
traces and footprints in the limited zone of the change made...

That reminds me on an idea discussed here a few weeks ago: drop the current footprint logic and replace it with full fledged circuit layouts. You'd edit the sub-layout in it's own file and insert that into the total layout as a non-editable, but movable block.

One possible drawback for both ideas: you can't route tracks through the "foreign" area/sub-layout, even if there's enough room after assembling the zones.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/