Re: gEDA-user: OT - Joystick control of stepper or servo motors

David,

To talk to the joystick, you will need a board with a USB host interface. I was just looking for such a beast and found an open source project called Ethernut. The project can be found at ethernut.org. They have several versions of the hardware and a new one, ver 5, with a USB host port should be out soon.

Ethernut hardware can be bought from Egnite. I just sent them an email asking if the host port is supported in software and what tools are available for development. I expect a USB host interface will be much more work getting up and running. I'm not sure why this board is not shown on the egnite.de site. They also don't readily provide contact info. The only email address I found is info@xxxxxxxxxx

Another place to look is microcontrollershop.com. I see they have a large number of CPU boards and boxes with USB host ports. They are supposed to distribute the Egnite products, but I haven't found the Ethernut 5 there yet. Let me know what you find. I have a strong interest in this sort of board and software.

Rick