Re: gEDA-user: OT - Joystick control of stepper or servo motors

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:19:53 -0500
"David C. Kerber" <dkerber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, electronics gurus!  I'm looking for suggestions on the best
> inexpensive way to use a USB game joystick to control stepper or
> servo motors.
>
> The application is using a joystick to drive the the platform
> positioning knobs on a microscope, to help me keep the subjects in
> the field of view, while I'm photographing them.  I'll also be adding
> the ability to trigger the camera shutter with the joy stick, but I
> don't anticipate any trouble with that part; it's the motion control
> side that I have no experience with.

As far as the joystick goes, you might try to find a non-USB joystick.
Maybe use a PlayStation 2 controller (two analog joysticks and multiple
buttons for extra control features) or find a cheap analog PC joystick.
Using USB where it's not suitable means you have a lot of extra
complexity and overhead.

Regards,
Colin