Re: gEDA-user: OT - Joystick control of stepper or servo motors

   Does it have to be a joystick? I have found quite usable small
   touchscreen and one button. It is like trackpad in mouse size square
   box and my thumb pushes the button on the side. I use this with my PCB
   driller to place it right place. First I have to use footswitch to
   operate the arm and then I just slide drill to first hole and push the
   button. The arm lowers and I can see where the drill will actually
   contact. And I can't see my hand. Right hand is keeping door open and
   my left is operating the arm. My head is inside the machine.
   Just a thought.
   Hannu Vuolasaho

   http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Modules/DevelopmentModules.htm#Vinculo

   > -Cullen
   >
   > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM, David C. Kerber
   > <dkerber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   > > Hi, electronics gurus!  I'm looking for suggestions on the best
   inexpensive way to use a USB game joystick to control stepper or servo
   motors.

   > > The application is using a joystick to drive the the platform
   positioning knobs on a microscope, to help me keep the subjects in the
   field of view, while I'm photographing them.  I'll also be adding the
   ability to trigger the camera shutter with the joy stick, but I don't
   anticipate any trouble with that part; it's the motion control side
   that I have no experience with.

   > > Any suggestions?  Are steppers or servos better for this use?  What
   should I use to control them, Arduino or a generic motor control
   circuit?

   > > For background, I'm working as a programmer now, so I can handle
   the programming.  My degree is in EE, but I haven't used it in ~20
   years, so I'm kind of rusty on the electronics side but I'm sure it
   will come back.