Re: gEDA-user: gschem: directly connecting two nets?

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 08:32 +1100, Stephen Ecob wrote:
> > Perhaps I was going a bit far to suggest full DRC for the actual antenna
> > design. What I really meant was not loosing information for net
> > connectivity checking leading up the antenna.
>
> Thinking longer term, why not support DRC checking of inductance and
> resistance for specially tagged traces ?
> Of course most nets can simply be thought of as perfect conductors,
> but if we introduce the concept of a resistive and/or inductive trace
> it would be very helpful for making small inductors and resistors
> directly out of copper.
> My current design implements resistors of 2.5mOhms up to 0.25 ohms
> purely with copper.  PCB's DRC doesn't understand and highlights these
> resistors in orange, but I can imagine a future PCB where I specified
> that a particular trace should have a resistance of (say) 10 mOhm and
> DRC would handle it gracefully.

That is exactly the sort of use-case for this feature I was looking for.

A similar "track is component" scenario:

PCB fuse track - a dirty trick I've seen in some Honywell boiler
controllers.. where a deliberately thin trace is used to act as a fuse.

Other cases which require net tagging:

Computing current density for thermal reasons for a PCB trace.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,