Re: gEDA-user: Soldering minute smt

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 10:47 -0500, Rob Butts wrote:
> Holy miniature footprints Batman!!!
>

>    I'm trying to solder a 10 pin MSOP chip to a home made circuit board.
>    The pitch of this chip is just 0.5 mm.  We tried using the slightests
>    of dabs of solder across the pins and then used a heat gun the melt the
>    solder but now I have a chip soldered down with two five pin solder
>    blobs on each side.  My next step is to use solder wick to try and wick
>    up the excess but I wanted to see if there is a better way of doing
>    this first.

Aside from the first step - I would have hand-soldered a couple of
corner pins, that is the way I would do it.

Solder wick works great. I sometimes use a flux pen to flux up the
component leads to aid the process of removing the bridges. It should
also work on its own if you had good solder wick. (They have some milld
flux in I think).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,