Re: gEDA-user: Alternate Platforms

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 13:23 +0100, RubÃn GÃmez Antolà wrote:

> I was asked this too some time ago, because, I view that tablets and
> other devices (like e-readers with double screen) with
> Android/Maemo/Meego are going to users, and is a opportunity for the
> free world to "hit first".

Perhaps I'm being short-sighted, but I don't see a great potential for
serious EDA work on phone sized devices. Even if they get the
screen-resolution high enough, the size is very small for design work,
and the input problematic.

For phones, I just about see the case for a schematic / PCB viewer where
one could lookup or query a design whilst doing a field repair.

For tablets - that is a much more interesting proposition.. given a big
enough size, the possibility of a novel experience is high. User input
is again a challenge though.. finger touch will likely not provide the
fine-grained control our software currently needs to operate
productively. A stylus input might be higher resolution..

If I had the spare cash (or someone was to send me one in the post ;), I
would LOVE to work on getting PCB editing on A Wacom Cintiq:
http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

Even then.. We don't know until we've tried it - whether it would
liberate the PCB / schematic designer in the same way it would an
artist. PCBs and schematics typically constrain to fairly ordered
geometries, and perhaps the computer mouse is an input device better
suited to that?

That said - I'm fairly sure working with PCBs on a Cintiq would be
awesome... send me one and we'll see ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,