Re: gEDA-user: help with symbol creation

The classic thing to do when you're a newbie is to just take an old
symbol, hack it, and then save it as your new symbol.  That way you
have a known good starting point which acts as a template for your
modifications.

I would imagine that a photovoltaic cell is a lot like a diode.  Take
a pre-existing diode symbol and redraw/edit it to your satisfaction.

[snip!]
> Step two is just "draw the symbol". I have done this using the add line,
> circle, pin, etc. But have two questions:
>
> 1. Do I need to lock the lines and circles and other drawing elements
> together in some way (maybe the group option) as part of the "draw
> symbol" process?

As long as you are in the symbol editor (down -> symbol), the elements
will be grouped when you place them in the schematic editor.

> 2. There is a long list of attributes that must be "attached", "placed
> near", "placed in", and made to "exist somewhere in" the symbol. As a
> new user, it's very difficult for me to tell when the documentation is
> using terminology to differentiate technical aspects of the process vs.
> just being inconsistent. (e.g. does "exist somewhere in the symbol" mean
> the same thing as "placed somewhere in the symbol" or "placed near the
> symbol"?).

Placed near is good enough.  As long as you are in teh symbol editor,
the attributes will be associated with the symbol when you place it on
the schematic.

Good luck!

Stuart