Re: gEDA-user: PCB manufacturing

On 7/14/05, Davide Anastasia <davide.anastasia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> order. I need only to say what are soldermask and silkscreen.

If you are asking what these are, then I think these are the answers.

A soldermask is a layer of paint or lacquer that is applied to the
printed circuit board, that covers everything except where solder
beads are intended.  The idea is to prevent solder from flowing away
from its desired location, thus greatly reducing the possibility for
short circuits.  The color of this layer is usually green, but may
also be red too.  I'm sure other colors are available, but green is
the most common.

The term "silkscreen" is used as it is in the T-shirt making business;
the idea here is that a layer of paint is applied that conforms to a
specific drawing or pattern.  For printed circuit boards, this layer
takes on the form of printed outlines of chips, part ID numbers (e.g.,
U101, Q4, etc), descriptive text, etc.  It's usually rendered with
white paint.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II