gEDA-user: deleting whole elements vs parts of elements

So the manual contains this text: ``All parts of an element are
treated as one unit, except for the name.  It is not possible to
delete a single pin or move only part of an element on the layout.''

And for elements loaded from the library, that seems to be true.

However, if I use the ``load layout data to paste-buffer'' command,
the delete function does delete individual pins, and not the unit of
the complete layout that I'd loaded to the paste buffer.

Elsewhere I'd thought I'd read something to the effect that that load
layout data to paste-buffer and load element data to paste-buffer are
supposed to offer the same functionality, but reading different file
formats; which left me not expecting this differing deletion semantic.