Re: gEDA-user: file format documentation section of manual

> The benefit of Texinfo is that it can be readily converted to many
> formats, and I wouldn't want to lose that.  It also lends itself to
> easy editing and cvs.  The latest Texinfo has lots of support for
> images and HTML, we should at least investigate that before abandoning
> it as a format.  There's a reason why GNU projects use Texinfo.
>
> Also, the latest Texinfo supports tables, bullet lists, and drawings,
> so that's no excuse to avoid it.  It also supports hyperlinks and
> conversion to multiple web pages (good for goodle and linking).
>
> Personally, I prefer HTML but then I edit HTML directly (emacs).  I
> prefer avoiding formats that require an *application* to edit, even a
> free one such as OO.  Scriptable formats also lend themselves to
> automatic web site updates.

Hmmm, well I can also do it in tex (LaTeX), but it is a PITA
sometimes, particularly when it comes to embedding graphics.  I did
the SPICE/gEDA HOWTO using Lyx -> Docbook -> LaTeX -> [.pdf | HTML].
It was a PITA compared to just writing the doc in OOWriter.  OTOH, it
is doable.

> OTOH volunteering to fix it tends to out-vote anyone who doesn't ;-)

I know that  :-)

Stuart