Re: gEDA-user: file format documentation section of manual

On Monday 18 July 2005 04:51 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Can you and Dan and Harry live with radical changes to your
> doc?  I do believe I would improve it, but it would look a
> lot different.

Since I am not Dan or Harry, I can't speak for them, but if
someone were to come to me wanting to completely rewrite the
gnucap documentation, I would enthusiastically welcome the
contribution.  The documentation is the way it is because that
is all I have the time to do.  Making the documentation look
professional is a valuable contribution that a non-coder can
make.

On Monday 18 July 2005 04:51 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> I'd also jettison .tex and write it in OOWriter, and export
> .pdf.  You could include both the .sxw and the .pdf files in
> your distribution tarballs.

I take issue with this one.  Tex shows its best when it used for
large documents.  OOWriter is too much like Microsoft Word for
me.  I only use it for MS-word documents.  Even for MS-word
documents, I use Kword or Abiword instead if I can get away
with it.  I still use LaTeX for big stuff, but I use something
graphic like kword or lyx for small stuff. I am not sure I
could cope with a 500 page document in kword, lyx, oowriter,
MS-word or anything similar.

Whatever is used, it needs to be able to generate both .pdf
and .html., both with indexing and active links.  Of course it
also must be "free" in the same sense that our software is.