Re: gEDA-user: Another board with gEDA/PCB

Stephen Meier wrote:

I am interested too in how you alligned the bga to the pcb. One problem with high density components is that they were at 1 mm pitch... no 8 mill pitch flip chips... no 6 mill pitch flip chips...

Chip resistors (0805) and super glue to keep the thing lined up going into the oven. I used the silkscreen as a guide. I gave it about 0.3mm to move and surface tension centered it perfectly. Alignment is not nearly as critical as soldering a LQFP176 or PQFP208. I did not use solderpaste, just lots of flux.

Still if you did the alignement and then had a reasonable yeild (>50%) then I take my hat off to you. My point has been that these tools are capable of professional (whatever that meens) capabilities.

Again, Darrell... I do congradulate anyone who can build boards with high density components in less then ideal conditions.

Taking a bow,

Steve Meier

The tools are great. I just about laugh when I get yet another one of those Protel brochures telling me it is on sale for $7999. I have not run into any limitation of gEDA or PCB yet that I could not work around.

--

Darrell Harmon
100x100mm SBC running GNU/Linux: