Re: gEDA-user: Warning: All of the pads are on the opposite side?

Bob Paddock wrote:

On Sunday 24 July 2005 11:20 am, bumpelo wrote:

The latest cvs code seems to have the default layer names disagree with
the default stackup.

Here's probably how you want to fix this:
Go to File->Preferences->Layers under the "setup" tab change the
checkboxes so that Group 1 which contains the layer named "component" is
on the component side and group 2 is on the solder side.

Ok, I did that.

I tried "Move Selected Elements to Other Side" (Shift-B) but that either had no effect, or rotated the element 180 degrees depending on the selection. Never seemed to change from the solder (now brown) to the component side (now blue).

I hadn't intended for you to change the colors of the layers. It sounds like you changed the layer names
(which is ok too) rather than simply change which group was on the component and solder sides. Any way
this procedure won't fix the existing bad elements, it will just allow you to logically create the elements right
in the first place. It might help you to understand what happened if the layer names were more abstracted:
suppose the layer named "component" had been named "borked" instead. The "borked" layer was on the
bottom board surface (it belonged to the group that had the solder side). You placed tracks their while
viewing the component side and made them part of an element whose package was thought to be mounted
on the top side - a non-sensical element (except for the special case of edge connectors which have pads on
both sides).

You're elements are already fscked up, moving it to the other side won't change that. You must smash the element to fix it. It's can also fix it with the text editor, but I recommend against that because it may not be simple to understand how that is done properly.

What is the easiest way to move the pads to the other side of the board, text editor on the file?

Maybe it would be easier for me just to go back to Xaw until the bugs are sorted out...and start over.