Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

Dave McGuire wrote:
On Jul 24, 2005, at 8:09 PM, Jakub Piotr CÅapa wrote:

...is slow, as I expected.
Its somewhat disappointing to see usability take a second place to eye candy.
I suspect it wouldn't be noticeable on a faster machine but I'd rather not have needless software "enhancements" dictate when I buy new hardware.

And I couyld say that I don't like to sacrifice my sight (reading core X11 fonts is really a big pain for me) because of some really too old hardware. Also I really didn't like PCB until it was GTK+2 because it visually sucked.

So...the software has been needlessly bloated by incompetent developers (the GTK people...not Bill or the PCB guys) and you advocate buying new hardware to compensate for it? I'm not sure whether to feel nausea or astonishment, but I'm sure one of the two are appropriate.

I wouldn't call UTF-8 support a needless bloat. Pango support for different kinds of text (ltr and rtl), fonts and GTK+2 input metods were all necessary and I think they are very guilty for the speed problems.

The thing to blame is that nobody really knows why GTK+2 (and Qt because it is bloated too, maybe a little less) are so slow. Nobody knows why Blender starts up almost instantially and GTK+2 takes almost forever to load. The good news is that there are people who want to improve the whole mess and profile the whole thing to make it run reasonably. :-)

PS. Sorry for that flame I almost started...

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr CÅapa