Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

Em Seg 25 Jul 2005 10:13, harry eaton escreveu:
> >> Its somewhat disappointing to see usability take a second place to
> >> eye candy.
> >> I suspect it wouldn't be noticeable on a faster machine but I'd
> >> rather not have needless software "enhancements" dictate when I buy
> >> new hardware.
>
> The Athena versions still exists and it's still very capable.
> Personally I haven't seen too much improvement in functionality with the
> GTK port
> however it allows for much easier development of improved features. I know
> I spent a lot of time working on stupid interface things like sticky menus
> and list
> widgets with Athena.
>
> One think that GTK will allow easy implementation of is OpenGL alpha
> transparency in
> the drawing. For those without accelerated graphics you'll hate it, but it
> will be a great
> improvement for those with fast hardware.

The future is now, and an opengl card is cheap (even in my country). I really
have no words when I see the 3d rendering of a board in the Kicad, and
sometimes that is really usefull.
gEDA and PCB are professional tools and I really dont think that a
pre-requisite to them is to run on old machines. MHO, of course.