Re: gEDA-user: is gEDA a good choice for designers?

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 16:28:56 John Griessen wrote:
> John Doty wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:08 AM, John Luciani wrote:
> >> You do need to verify symbols and footprints against your process
> >> requirements
> >
> > The good thing about the library is that even for symbols that aren't
> > boxes, you rarely need to draw one from scratch. There's usually
> > something similar to what you want ready to customize. And for boxes
> > there are several construction tools to choose from.
>
> One thing that would help speed and productivity is if newly edited
> footprints were available to place from the PCB library window without a
> restart of PCB
>
> Are we any closer to being able to do that?
>
> Gschem does this rapid update with a new library window...leaving a
> complicated set of pages open and ready to add to.    That gives speed.

Actually, this is currently broken in unstable gschem -- a restart is required
to rebuild the library.  However, I'm going to add a "Refresh" button to the
component library dialog so that you can do a manual refresh if you want one.

It's broken because now there are backends for the library other than a
directory of .sym files, so there's no consistent way to find out whether
they've changed.  Also, if you're retrieving symbol libraries from a website,
say, a library update could be very expensive.  So a "Refresh" button, rather
than automatic refresh, seems the way forward.

                     Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer