gEDA-user: deselect hidden far side objects (sf bug 1751566)

I'm looking into a bug I filed (1751566) where I found that if you:

1.  select some things, then
2.  hide some of them and then
3.  single click in space (or on an object) to deselect all,

The hidden objects do not get deselected.  This turns out to be because
"deselect all" is implemented as "unselect everything in this box" where
"box" is essentially "everywhere".  "(un)select everything in this box"
is all one function which handles drag selection as well, so when it's
selecting it makes sense to consider visibility.

I think deselect all should deselect even invisible objects, especially
when you consider that if you hide any selected objects, you won't ever
be able to deselect them and every operation on selected objects will
still be happening to them.

I see a few ways to go:

1.  Deselect everything the moment you hide it.  That way you can't
ever manipulate invisible, but selected objects.  Well, maybe if I let
you undo the auto-deselect you could.  Urk.

2.  Make 'deselect all' at least unselect hidden objects.  You can
still select them, hide them, and then operate on them if you like.
You can also select things and flip layers on and off without losing your
selection.

3.  Leave it alone because people love this behavior.  ???

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>