gEDA-user: Multi-page, non-hierarchical schematics?

I have a schematic split into multiple pages just for convenience and
ease of editing, not so much because it's hierarchical.  I'd like to
use the refdes renumbering feature to generate refdeses which are
unique across all the pages, but it only seems to work that way if you
have the pages in a hierarchy.  Unless I'm missing something.

But assuming I'm not, what is the absolute simplest way to create a
flat hierarchy?  My understanding is that I have to draw symbols for
each sub-schematic -- I suppose the symbol should just be a box with
no inputs or outputs?  I make connections across pages by using
netname attributes -- I assume this will work within a hierarchy as
well?  Even just creating a box seems like a fair amount of overhead
for such a simple case.  Is there an easier way to do this?

There are also a few parts of my schematic that are basically copy &
paste operations, so I'm also considering using hierarchies to handle
that repetition better, but I'm a little confused about the details.
The docs on hierarchy seem to be pretty lacking in general.  (Not a
criticism -- I'd rather the developers spent their limited time
writing code than documentation, to an extent.)  For example, does
slotting work across sub-sheets?  If I have, for example, and analog
input section that includes an op-amp, and I make that a sub-sheet and
then put multiple copies of it on the top-level sheet, will the
individual sections be able to be lumped into different slots of a
quad op-amp?  Can I control that process by manually editing
attributes?