Re: gEDA-user: Metric PCB footprints using 1mil grid

> The current resolution of pcb being 0.01 mills which translates to 254
> nano meters (~1/4 of a thousandth of a mm)  should meet the requirements
> for printed circuit boards for some time (metric or english).

The problem isn't what pcb supports now, it's what pcb used to
support.  We used to support only 1.0 mil resolution, and chunks of
our library are still defined at that resolution, even the metric
parts.  Which means fine-pitch metric parts don't have consistent pad
widths, due to rounding.  Gerber output normally goes to higher
resolutions anyway, so a metric footprint that's always kept in 0.01
mil mode (hi res) won't suffer the same rounding errors as one that's
been rounded to 1.0 mil resolution.