Re: gEDA-user: hierarchical module using one slot of multislot chip possible?

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 17:29 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> I have a module that uses one op amp of four on a chip.  I have made it
> into a subsheet according to wiki and gTAG example.  Is it possible to
> include multiple copies of this module in a higher level design and
> have them automagicly select the correct slot, as happens in a single
> schematic?  Or is there some way I can make this happen manually?
>
> At the moment each instance gets its own chip.
>
> I am guessing turing name mangling off globally might do it, but I
> kind of like that functionality too (just to be difficult :).

As far as I'm aware, no - and its probably not that simple to manually
either (not and retain the nice clean 1 sub-sheet for all modules).

For this sort of situation, I've tended to use that very raw,
"copy-paste the circuit" approach and explicitly set the slot number.

Certainly your requirement is one which has been considered for future
improvement, but unfortunately it requires a reasonable amount of
changes to implement. Once it is possible to override arbitrary
attributes nested within a sub-circuit, it will be as simple as
resetting the slot=xxx attribute down inside the sub-circuit for each
instance you have.

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton