gEDA-user: size of 0402 footprint

My next project will take into the realms of the barely visible:
PCB estate is at premium. So I decided to bite the bullet and switch to
0402 sized SMD parts, rather than 0805 I use by default'. Now, what size
should the footprint be? The one supplied by the default lib of pcb seems
to be real small (/pcblib-newlib/geda/0402.fp). John Luciani's 0402
footprint is about twice the size.

The majority of parts will be populated by a third party in a reflow
oven. I guess, they are ok with the small size footprint. They even told
me not to choose large footprints as this would encourage tomb stoning.
However, I will need to manually rework some of the more sensitive
resistors. Would that be possible with the small size footprints?

Any recommendation?

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak