gEDA-user: ideeas for gschem and pcb

Hello,

I am working for some months with gschem+pcb. For most of the things
these applications are great and enough, but at some points I miss some
functionality.

The following is a list of improvements I would like too see/have/maybe
implement.

1. Footprint alternatives. Basicaly this is done by adding some new
items in the .sym models:
e.g.
footprint_alternative1=DIP20
footprint_alternative2=SSOP20
.... and so on.
And add a dropdown box in gschem when selecting footprint to select from
one of these options (or manualy specify one).
Of course, this feature has no use without updated libs, but still, it
can be used in time if there is support in the application.

2. An even nicer improvement wold be to have the footprint preview
directly into gschem,

3. and for the ocasional user - like me - having a metric mesh drawn on
the surface where the footprint is previewed (or some rullers on the
sides), would quicly reveal footprint real world dimensions without
having to go to pcb and measure the dimensios with crosshair.

I felt the lack of those last two points in Protel (the first one is
implemeted there). It is realy frustrating to go to another application
just to see if I should use ACY200 or ACY300 for example. I belive this
informations shall be presented where and when they are really needed.

4. Sometime I need to draw lines at 0 degrees from crosshair, not only
at 45 degrees (new modes = and _|_). I am just tired of matching the
direction of the crosshair with the point of origin when doing manual
routing.

5. Some alignement tool may be useful too (or maybe I did not find it ?!).

6. Rotation of selected elements shall be simpler (for example with the
space key).

Probably on some points I try to rediscover the wheel, but since I am
new around here it might just reinstate some topics.

Best Regards,
Teodor