Re: gEDA-user: Mechanical footprints on pcb

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Gary L. Roach <gary719_list1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

How do I include heat sinks into the pcb layout. I have a schematic (in
gschem) that needs heat sinks on 2 components. One a TO220 and one a GBJ
case. I am developing the footprint  for the GBJ case but the process is
complicated by the fact that the component can either be mounted
vertically or bent over flat (hole through part). The bent over flat
would seem to be the hardest because the heat sink and the component
will be superimposed on the board layout.

I make a separate footprint with a heatsink silkscreen. I have a TO-220 with a heatsink
on my geda page. http://www.luciani.org/geda/geda-index.html

I usually draw outlines around mounting holes and mounting hardware to
give myself "hints" when I do the board layout. See some of my mounting hardware
footprints.

(* jcl *)

Thank you in advance for any help. You guys are really responsive.

Gary L. Roach

http://www.luciani.org