gEDA-user: export to BRL-CAD

from geda-bugs, written by Csanyi Pal:

> In xgsch2pcb I wish to have an option to show the PCB in 3D model
> when it is accomplished in pcb tool.
> I think that there is a possibility to write a script that should
> to make an output file for the BRL-CAD free modelling system.

> From xgsch2pcb one would to have a possibility to run that script
> and that script make an output file and on that file should to run
> mged (BRL-CAD).
> The BRL-CAD should then show the PCB as 3D modell.
> This is only my idea, but what do you think about it?

BRL-CAD is broken by design. It suffers from many weaknesses. Not
packeged in major linux distros is just one of them. A better alternative
would be to export some format that blender understands. This tool is the
best open source app when it comes to 3D rendering.

Rendered models are just eye-candy as long as it is for the pure PCB,
only. It could become useful, if components were included with realistic
dimensons too. However, this would open a whole new can of library worms..

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog