Re: gEDA-user: export to BRL-CAD

On Fri, July 18, 2008 7:44 pm, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> BRL-CAD is broken by design. It suffers from many weaknesses. Not
> packeged in major linux distros is just one of them.

  That's a pretty strong statement.  BRL-CAD has been used with great
success by the US military for many, many years, since before Linux was
an itch in torvalds' pants.  All the world is NOT a Linux box.

> A better alternative
> would be to export some format that blender understands. This tool is the
> best open source app when it comes to 3D rendering.

  ...though I have to agree here, if the goal is aesthetic (rather than
dimentionlly accurate) *rendering*, Blender being renderer and BRL-CAD
being a CAD program that happens to do some rendering.

> Rendered models are just eye-candy as long as it is for the pure PCB,
> only. It could become useful, if components were included with realistic
> dimensons too. However, this would open a whole new can of library worms..

  An excellent point.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire