Re: gEDA-user: gschem: dual head OS X dialogs in South forty

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 16:50 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> OK, so this is an esoteric problem, and I certainly may be doing
> something wrong.
>
> I have a MacBook, and recently added a second monitor that I can plug
> into it for dual-head display.  The monitor, being larger than the
> laptop screen, is the natural place for the gschem window.  So far, so
> good.
>
> The problem: Dialogs pop up on the laptop screen, not the monitor where
> the gschem window is displayed.  So I end up having to mouse waaaaaay
> over to the other screen to work in the dialog box, and mouse waaaaay
> back to work in the gschem window.
>
> I'm not sure if there is anything in the XWindows API to manage that,
> but is sure would be nice if gschem was multi-monitor aware.

It is probably your window manager deciding your LHS screen is nice and
free, so lets place the new windows there.

There is a prog called devilspie which watches new windows, and can move
them based on some defined rules.

Or.. a hack

Stick a big text-editor window (or something) covering most of the LHS
screen if you've not got apps open on it. The window manager may then
revert to placing dialogs near the app which spawned them.

This said, I'm not sure how things on a mac-book work.. are you in X11
with a window manager, or in OSX, with whatever it does to make X apps
work and think there is a window manager?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,