Re: gEDA-user: board stacking

On Jul 7, 2009, at 6:51 PM, gene glick wrote:

> Just wondering what has been done in the past when stacking
> boards.  For
> example, stacking with 2X4 header, through hole.  On the base
> board, the
> pinout faces up and goes like:
> 2-4-6-8
> 1-3-5-7
>
> If I use the same footprint on the daughter card, I would think it
> should be flipped over, since it faces down towards the base board.
> Flipping it in PCB gives this:
> 1-3-5-7
> 2-4-6-8
>
> That would be a mess :(  So in this case, the best thing is to put the
> place the footprint on the face-up side of the daughter board.  The
> other choice is to build another mirror image footprint.
>
> For through-hole parts this isn't that big a deal.  For surface mount
> it'll come out wrong.  So, just wondering what you all have done.

Usually, the manufacturer's pin numbering is mirrored on the male
versus the female even if the geometry is the same. So you want the
numbering that matches the gender of the connector, regardless of
surface mount versus through hole. Different footprints for male and
female. Anything else is an invitation to chaos...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx