gEDA-user: board stacking

Just wondering what has been done in the past when stacking boards.  For
example, stacking with 2X4 header, through hole.  On the base board, the
pinout faces up and goes like:
2-4-6-8
1-3-5-7

If I use the same footprint on the daughter card, I would think it
should be flipped over, since it faces down towards the base board.
Flipping it in PCB gives this:
1-3-5-7
2-4-6-8

That would be a mess :(  So in this case, the best thing is to put the
place the footprint on the face-up side of the daughter board.  The
other choice is to build another mirror image footprint.

For through-hole parts this isn't that big a deal.  For surface mount
it'll come out wrong.  So, just wondering what you all have done.

gene